JEE Main 2020 will be conducted for three papers. Each paper to be conducted for 3 hours. This year, JEE Main 2020 question paper will include both multiple-choice questions as well as numerical based questions.
Joint Entrance Examination also commonly known as JEE Main is a national level engineering entrance exam which acts as a gateway for admission to engineering colleges in India like IITs, NITs, GFTIs, etc. Also JEE Main is a qualifying exam for JEE Advanced admissions to around 11279 seats in 23 IITs. NTA is responsible to conduct JEE Main from the year of 2019 onwards. Previously, the JEE Main exam was conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) till 2018. JEE Main 2020 will now be held for 3 papers where Paper 1 is for B. E./B.Tech admissions, Paper 2 is for B.Arch admissions, while Paper 3 is for B. Planning. NTA will conduct JEE Main exam twice a year ie., the first exam in the month of January and the second exam in the month of April. Candidates can appear for the exam both the times and NTA will consider the best score to provide All India Rank.
The JEE Main 2020 exam will be conducted in online mode, that is, as a Computer Based Test (CBT). Candidates who have passed 10+2 exam with Maths & Physics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biology are eligible to appear for this exam. Those candidates who meet the JEE Main Eligibility criteria can fill up the JEE Main 2020 application form from 3rd September 2019. The JEE Main Application Form will be made available only in online mode on the official website of jeemain.nic.in.
Check important highlights of JEE Main 2020 exam pattern below.
|Mode of exam||BTech/BPlan – CBT mode
BArch – PBTmode | CBT mode
|Type of questions||Objective (MCQs) and Numerical
Subjective – BArch Drawing Paper
|Number of questions||75 for BTech
77 for BArch
100 for BPlan
|Total marks||Paper 1 – 300 marks
Paper 2 – 400 marks
Paper 3 – 400 marks
|Name of sections||BTech – 3 (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
BArch – 3 (Drawing, Mathematics and Aptitude)
BPlan – 3 (Mathematics, Aptitude and Planning Based Questions)
|Marking scheme||Correct Response – (+4)
Incorrect Response – (-1)
|The difficulty level of exam||Easy to Moderate|
NTA has released JEE Main 2020 syllabus for Paper 1, 2 and 3 in online mode. This year, the authority has separated BPlan from BArch. From this year onwards BPlan will be a separate paper. The syllabus will help candidates to plan their studies accordingly.
Before starting with preparations, candidates must know the detailed syllabus. By going through the JEE Main syllabus, they will be able to know all the subjects and topics from where the questions are produced.
|Exam Name||Joint Entrance Exam|
|Exam Frequency||Twice a year|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Accepting Colleges||1423 colleges|
- JEE Main 2020 application fee is increased as compared to last year. The payment could be done in online mode only
- From this year onwards, BArch and BPlan will be separate papers. There are three papers in total – BE/BTech, BArch and BPlan
- The number of exam cities has been reduced from 264 to 233 in India
- Major changes are introduced in JEE Main exam pattern 2020. The total number of questions have decreased as compared to last year.
- This year, there will be numerical based questions for the exam
- The BArch and BPlan questions are differentiated by introducing new questions for BPlan students
Below are the important dates of JEE Main 2020 for January and April session:
JEE Main 2020 – January Session Dates
|Application form availability||September 3, 2019||Registration was online. This year there were many changes in the application process, fee payment, fee structure etc.|
|Last date to apply for JEE Main 2020||October 10, 2019||Earlier, the last date to apply for JEE Main was September 30. Registration was extended by 10 days. This year the registrations have declined 9.41 lakhs to 9.34 lakhs.|
|Registration for test practice centres||August 10 to December 29, 2019||JEE Main mock tests available online. Candidates can also check also take JEE Main mock tests from Shiksha and analyze the level of preparation.|
|Payment of application fee, uploading of signature and photograph||October 11, 2019||Fees increased for all the categories (General/OBC/ST/SC/EWS) and payment mode was online. No offline mode modes were available this year.|
|Image correction window available online||September 12, 2019||Photo correction facility was available on the official website. In this window, candidates could correct their photograph and signature.|
|Application form correction window||October 14 to 20, 2019||Application correction is a one-time process. Candidates who wanted to correct mistakes in the application form were able to rectify the data during this facility. All the details except the exam cities in the filled-in JEE Main application form could be modified.|
|Issuance of admit card||December 6, 2019||To be available online for download from JEE Main NTA website. Along with the admit card candidates must carry any one of the photo identity proof.|
|JEE Main 2020 exam||January 6 to 11, 2020||The exam is conducted in two shifts for 8 slots
Shift 1 – 9:30 am to 12 :30 pm
Shift 2 – 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm
|Release of response sheet and question paper||Third week of January 2020||Candidates can download their recorded responses marked in the OMR sheet.|
|Answer key release date||Third week of January 2020||NTA will publish (BTech/BArch/BPlan) the answer keys each question paper on the official website of the exam. If any candidate wants to challenge the answer keys they can do so by paying Rs. 1000 per question.|
|Declaration of result for January session||January 31, 2020||Result and scorecard can be downloaded from its official website. Last year, the result was declared 12 days before the release date.|
Events Dates Application form availability February 7, 2020 Last date to apply for JEE Main 2020 March 7, 2020 Application form correction for (except the choice of cities) Second week of March Issue of admit card March 16, 2020 JEE Main April 2020 exam April 3 to 19, 2020 Release date of answer key and recorded responses Second week of April Release of answer key Last week of April: Paper 1
Second week of May: Paper 2 & 3
Declaration of result April 30, 2020 Announcement of NTA score Third week of May
- Below are the previous years’ registration statistics. This year the JEE Main 2020 registration is 9.34 lakh. In 2019, the registration was 9,58,619 for April session and 9,29,198 for January session. Candidates can check the number of JEE Main registrations over the last 6 years.
- NTA has released the JEE Main 2020 eligibility criteria for BTech, BArch and BPlan papers. Candidates are required to fulfil multiple aspects to become eligible to appear for JEE Main exam. The eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2020 candidates is as follows:1.Age Criteria: There is no age limit for aspirants appearing in the JEE Main examination
2. Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE)
- Candidates who have passed their Class 12th examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019 are eligible or
- Those who are appearing in their Class 12th examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in January and April session
- Candidates who passed Class 12th /Qualifying examination in 2020 or before can apply too
- Candidates who will appear in Class 12th /Qualifying examination in 2020 or later are not eligible
3.Qualifying subjects: Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th /qualifying examination in order to be eligible
4. Qualifying marks
- To appear in JEE Main, the minimum qualifying marks (for admission to NITs, IIITs, IITs and CFTIs) that aspirants require is 75 per cent (aggregate)
- They should be in the top 20 percentile in the Class 12 exam conducted by respective Boards
- For reserved candidates, the minimum qualifying marks is 65 per cent
5. Total attempts
- A candidate is allowed to attempt the exam for three consecutive years
- The number of attempts will be six in total – twice each year for 3 years
|Category||Reservation in Percentage (%)|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5|
|Other Backward Class (OBC) -NCL||27|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||3|
JEE Main Cutoff 2020 will be released by National Testing Agency (NTA) after the declaration of result. For JEE Main, cut off will be of two types. First one will be the admission cut off and second one will be the qualifying cutoff. Candidates must note that the qualifying cutoff of JEE Main 2020 will comprise the minimum score that JEE Main 2020 aspirants need to secure to be eligible for JEE Advanced. Only those candidates who meet JEE Main cutoffs will be eligible for admission to IITs in India. Qualifying cutoff will be announced along with the result of JEE Main. The admission cutoff of JEE Main 2020 will be released by JoSAA. These will be the minimum ranks that candidates must secure for admissions to participating institutes of JEE Main.
There are around 1246 BTech colleges in India that accept JEE Main scores. These colleges do not participate in JoSAA counselling process. Take a look at the list of colleges accepting JEE Main 2020 score.
The counselling process of JEE Main 2020 will be conducted by the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA). The counselling will be a completely centralized process. All the candidates who will qualify JEE Main and meet the cutoff will be eligible to participate in the JoSAA counselling. As per the availability of seats in a particular institute and course and preferences of choices, candidates will be allotted seats.
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted twice by NTA (National Testing Agency). The authority also conducts NEET, GPAT, UGC NET and CMAT.
I belong to Jammu & Kashmir and I have passed my class XII last year with 75%. Am I eligible for JEE Main 2020?
Yes, you can apply for JEE Main 2020 from the official website. The authority reopened the application form window for J&K students only from November 4 to 8, 2019.
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted in the Computer Based Test (Online mode) only.
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted twice a year. The number of attempts for admission in a particular academic session will be considered as one. The age eligibility as prescribed by the authority allows a candidate to appear in JEE Main for three consecutive years.
No. JEE Main syllabus, as well as JEE Main pattern, is same. However, this year, the authority has changed the exam pattern of JEE Main 2020.
No. There is no mandate to appear for the exam twice. It depends on the candidate’s choice. In case they appear for the exam, the better of the two scores will be used for the purpose of ranking in the merit list.